Sunday, August 8, 2010

Ulcerative Colitis Cookbook

Good Healthy Food We Like To Eat chronicles the food choices our family has learned to make.  It contains some recipes, some healthy foods advice, and some other stuff. I used to put all of this on facebook until I realized that not everyone wanted to hear more about what I was cooking. A few people did, though. So here I am. 

Our daughter, Lauren, has ulcerative colitis. She is in college now and does an exceptional job managing her diet. When she is home, I cook meals specifically for her, or I prepare duel meals. Duel meals contain similar elements but have different ingredients used to prepare them, i.e. Chicken Penne Alfredo & Shrimp with Basil Pesto and Rice Linguini.  

I thought about creating a healthy eating cookbook. If I do, I will have to include a section on cooking for someone with ulcerative colitis and some duel recipes. This terrible disease has forced us to rethink the foods we eat and has taught me many things about nutrition.

By educating ourselves and making compromises, I have lost 60 lbs. and kept it off for more than a year. Lauren has infrequent flare-ups and manages her busy college schedule in spite of her lifetime illness. Even my husband, who frequently eats from BOTH menus, has lost weight and is now a trim 182 lbs!  

So join us as we blog our adventures. I will be looking forward to your posts!
Cook with Joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment